- Permanent Link:
- Ask-A-Librarian Transcript Analysis September 2021-April 2022
- Series Title:
- Charleston Library Conference
- Cline, Pauline Bickford
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- dataset ( sobekcm )
- Temporal Coverage:
- 2021 - 2022
- Pauline Bickford Cline, Doug Kiker, and Christy Shorey, all members of the Assessment Advisory Committee, presented this year at the Charleston Library Conference. The presentation was on their work with a subcommittee of the AAC, the Ask-A-Librarian Transcript Analysis Subcommittee. The presentation was during the virtual conference week with a live Q&A component over Zoom.
In the presentation, Pauline, Doug, and Christy discussed their analysis of an academic yearâ€™s worth of Ask-A-Librarian chat transcripts. Beginning in September 2021, the Ask-A-Librarian subcommittee analyzed about 100 anonymized Ask-A transcripts per month, collected and de-identified by David Carnell. In some months, the committee analyzed more â€“ for example, in January 2022 when the UFDC platform was updated. This project took place during a year of change at the George A. Smathers Libraries, which included the library website migration, the ILS migration to Alma Primo VE, and the UF Digital Collections platform migration, as well as multiple other simultaneous web page redesign projects based on usability testing.
The subcommittee developed a list of common chat topics and barriers faced by patrons, which were used to code each response. Each interaction was then rated using predetermined criteria and recommendations for improvement were made based on how the patronâ€™s needs were met. Using this data, the subcommittee developed large-scale recommendations to share with Assessment Librarian Laura Spears, Dean of Assessment Val Minson, Ask-A-Librarian coordinator Robin Fowler, and Library Technology Services. Based on these recommendations, changes are in the process of being made to the Ask-A-Librarian training program and resources as well as to the library website. Some of the recommendations included the reorganization of the study room web page and increased Ask-A staff training ahead of the fall semester on topics such as the VPN and best practices for a reference interview. The data analyzed contained valuable information that helped improve library services and resources.
The data set includes monthly totals for each topic, barrier and rating; a summary totals page for the entire data set; a coding key; and a list of recommendations made by the subcommittee.
- Collected for University of Florida's Institutional Repository by the UFIR Self-Submittal tool. Submitted by Pauline Bickford Cline.
- Source Institution:
- University of Florida Institutional Repository
- Holding Location:
- University of Florida
- Rights Management:
- Copyright Creator/Rights holder. Permission granted to University of Florida to digitize and display this item for non-profit research and educational purposes. Any reuse of this item in excess of fair use or other copyright exemptions requires permission of the copyright holder.