← Back to University Archives
For decades, the George A. Smathers Libraries at the University of Florida preserved print and microfilm copies of The Independent Florida Alligator. With endowment funding, the Libraries were able to digitize over 100,000 pages from The Alligator archive held by the Libraries to preserve the material and make it publicly accessible. The entirety of The Alligator from 1912-present is available in this online collection.
The University News was founded in 1906 as an independent, student-owned newspaper created to serve UF when it relocated to Gainesville, Florida. In 1912, the newspaper became part of the UF administration and was renamed the Florida Alligator.
In the 1930s, the Board of Student Publications, composed of faculty and students, established policies for the Office of Student Publications, responsible for several campus publications including the Florida Alligator, the Seminole (UF yearbook), Florida Magazine, and the F Book.
For many years, the Office of Student Publications was on campus, located in Dauer Hall’s (formerly Florida Union) basement. The office moved in 1968 to the J. Wayne Reitz Union. In 1973, the newspaper became independent of UF and moved off-campus and has since been titled The Independent Florida Alligator.
The Alligator contains news about UF, its students and faculty, events, sports, community and national news, and more.
Through its digital collections, the University of Florida offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that may contain offensive language or negative stereotypes. The University does not endorse the views expressed in such materials.